Imagine you’ve been hanging out with your friends all day; on your way home, you're pulled over by a police officer. Although you haven't had much to drink, the police officer decides to administer a breathalyzer test. You're confident you'll pass the test.
But your BAC reading is higher than 0.08%—resulting in a DUI arrest and drunk driving charges.
Although the situation above may seem hopeless, you may have a way out. DUI stops have to follow a specific protocol or they're weakened (or qualify for dismissal). Fortunately for you, officers often make mistakes during DUI arrests. That's why smart defendants call Prince George's County criminal defense lawyers: an experienced attorney can identify any errors made during the DUI stop, bringing you closer to getting your charges dismissed or reduced.
Common Mistakes During DUI Testing
One of the most common mistakes law enforcement makes during DUI testing is trusting false breathalyzer results. There are numerous factors that can contribute to a high BAC reading—not just drinking. If you believe that your BAC testing was false, an experienced DUI defense attorney in Prince George's County can help you determine if officers made mistakes in your DUI arrest.
The following factors can contribute to a falsely BAC reading:
- If the breath test was not taken within two hours of driving
- If results under 0.12 and retest results were off by 20%
- If you burped during the test
- If you had been chewing tobacco or had a mint in your mouth
- If you have GERD or diabetes
- If you work with solvents on a regular basis
- If the police officer that administrated the test was not certified to do so
- If the Breathalyzer was not calibrated properly
- If the mouthpiece had not been changed before the test
Contact a DUI Defense Attorney
If you believe there was a mistake with your DUI arrest, it is vital to contact an experienced Prince George County DUI defense attorney. A driver only has 15 days to schedule an administrative hearing after the notice of a license suspension or revocation. There is still hope to get your charges dropped. Our legal team can investigate your case to determine if there was a mistake with your DUI arrest.
Gracia & Mintz is available 24/7, so call our offices today at (301) 842-8584!